As a professional painter we know many people this time of year want to have their decks power washed, stained or sealed. We thought we’d share a blog posting direct from our trusted partner, Sherwin Williams. Enjoy.
Planning to stain or paint a deck is easy when you follow these simple steps. Help protect or restore your deck using Sherwin-Williams stains and paints.
With SuperDeck®, you can beautify and protect your deck or porch in the same day. The process is easy when you follow these simple steps:
I) Choose the Right Cleaning Product – Which SuperDeck® cleaning product you need depends on the condition of your deck or porch.
- Stain & Sealer Remover Use Stain & Sealer Remover on all exterior wood that has been previously treated or stained. Always follow up with an application of Revive.™
- Revive™ Revive™ neutralizes Stain & Sealer Remover and restores the natural appearance of cedar or redwood. Revive also takes the factory finish off of new wood.
- Deck Wash Use Deck Wash to remove mold and mildew from composite decking and unstained pressure-treated wood.
II) Choose the Right Stain – The type of stain you choose depends on the appearance and durability you want to achieve.
- Clear While offering the least UV protection, clear stains provide an optimum view of natural wood grain.
- Toners Toners provide a light color that highlights wood grain and provides good durability.
- Semi-Transparent Stains Semi-transparent stains provides very good durability as well as a rich, pigmented color that allows the natural wood grain to show through. For severely weathered natural wood, Sherwin-Williams recommends that you apply two coats of semi-transparent stain.
- Solid Color Stains Solid color stains help cover up wood blemishes or unsightly grain while offering maximum durability. Advanced technology makes Solid Color Stain a perfect choice for composite decking.
III) Use the Right Project Materials – To properly prepare and finish your deck or porch, your project checklist should include the following items, the majority of which you’ll find at your neighborhood Sherwin-Williams store:
- Safety glasses
- Garden hose
- Drop cloth
- Sanding sponge
- Stiff synthetic-bristle brush
- 4″ brush
- Brush holder
- Extension pole
- Pump sprayer (optional)
- DuckBack™ deck care products